The Night Sleep was Stollen

The night light glows red against the far wall casting eerie shadows upon the curtains. Behind these drapes hides a wind, far far up in the valley, holding my sweet sleep captive on some mountain aloft.

"So ponder now," says my subconscious to my conscious; for you see they often hold converse one with the other.

"Ponder anew the day gone by. As well you might ponder the days to come. How might days fly if they could fly at all?" Said Subconscious.

"Is it right that days can fly but nigh can I?" Conscious replied.

"If I could fly to the future, would I set forth on the flight so frivolous?" I thought, quite separate from the rest of them.

So then I said to them both, "God above is willing to quiet the careless fears of His wrestles child.

"Why then does my conscious knowledge of God’s will not communicate to my subconscious the plans set forth?" Said Subconscious quite confounded.

"Because!" retorted my subconscious to himself, "You see, my subconscious is attached to fears associated to occurrences past. God in His wisdom is patient with my untrusting heart."

God give me a new heart of flesh to trust and obey in every situation. I cried

If I long for flight of the swiftest design, then to the future I would go, and never would I exist in the present until my design of reality was fulfilled. Joy would never be mine, and contentment would never occupy my pallet. Joy comes in being where God would have, and not where I desire to inhabit. “The life I now live in the flesh, I live, yet not I but Christ who lives in me.”

So I plea, troubled heart, be content. Be satisfied in the revelation given you from above. Commit your cares to the cross, and only to the cross fix your gaze.

I opened my eyes and switched off the night light. Then, like a blue blaze, came the waning moonlight pouring through the window bright. A new light was shed on that same ground where once was dismay. Where once I tossed, there was peace. Like Jacob, I placed my head on a rock for a pillow to sleep. This was quite the double application, for the future was lain up in heaven’s plans. The words of the psalmist danced in my mind, making light, the darkness of night, that is the future. “I will lie down and sleep in peace. For you oh Lord make me to dwell in safety.”

Comments

Popular Posts